SO, I’m participating in One Game A Month this year and am thoroughly excited to see what I come up with! I don’t plan on finishing any game beyond basic playability and light polish for the sake of my #1GAM submissions. If any of my games are worth being made fully featured, then that’ll happen on the side during its own allocated time slot (eg: not during #1GAM time!).
I plan on making a game where you play an animal hybrid and go around shooting people (with multiplayer support!) It’ll have a simple level(s?) and will spawn you on each death with a random configuration of an animal head, body, and legs. For example, you could spawn sporting a brand new rabbit body, equipped with elephant legs, sporting a laser-eye-shooting giraffe head. So far, all animations (purely code driven!), art, sounds, etc, will be made by me! I might pull someone in to help with some 2d graphics/textures later; but we’ll see. This game will be made using the Unity3D engine, and written in C#.
More to come
Please check out my profile and I’ll keep my progress posted here! Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @Mantic, and check out my #1GAM profile: Mantic
Woot! I finally got Portal 2, and so far it rocks!
After playing for an hour, last night’s late bedtime catches up and I take a nap. What do I do when I wake up?
Well, I just finished compiling node.js and will be attempting to bust out some demo website with it.
Ever hit a “Java heap space” crash while running Flash’s command-line compiler: mxmlc? There are two ways to fix it:
1. Go to your SDK bin directory in a terminal window. (mac with FB: /Applications/Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks/3.3.0/bin)
Mac / Linux:
2. edit the ‘mxmlc’ file, look for the “VMARGS=…” line, and change the “Xmx384m” to “Xmx684m”.
2. edit “jvm.config” and edit the line starting with “java.args=…”, change “Xmx348m” to “Xmx648m”.
3. The “648” is the maximum heap size (in megabytes) that the JVM will allocate for the compiling process. You can change this to suit your needs.
If you’re not sure how much memory you’ll need, set it to 1024 (a gig) or so, and compile your app with the “-benchmark” arg. That’ll tell you how much memory was used to compile your app, and you can adjust the final size to be somewhere above what it used.